Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Where I'm From


I am from the west wind salt
splashing against strands of sea grass
and freshly split wood under the blue tarp

I am from my mother's love, brought up
with the thick hands of my father's fight
and my grandmothers open heart

I am from the depths of the Atlantic
the warm surface of Sagadahoc Bay
I sit on a strand of pearls tied with
silver, gold, and rust

I am from the smiles of my sisters,
the smell of a Sunday evening rush
peppered with lobster, bleach, and a sunset

I am from the hymns of the church
the cuss words of the tired fisherman,
from the guitar strings of the boy with brown eyes
the temper of the current from hells gates

I am from the raisin apple pie and the voice of Johnny Cash
the phone numbers scribbled on the faded yellow lined paper
the simplicity of an early August evening

No comments:

Post a Comment